[K12OSN] HAS ANYWONE GOTTEN EDU 6.06 TO RUN ON HP PAV DV2000?

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 10 01:17:21 UTC 2007

To answer my own question, the type of wireless card
in my mother's HP Pavilion dv6105us is one or all of
the
following (I'm not 100% sure if they all refer to the
same thing):
Mini PCI Express
Mini PCIe
Mini Card

>From what I can tell, this is slated to replace Mini
PCI

-Rob

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 03:56:52PM -0800, Rob Owens
wrote:
> My mother has an HP Pavilion dv6105us and it's got a
> Broadcom 4311 (I'm
> pretty sure that's the number).  I installed Ubuntu
> 6.10 on that
> machine.  Anyway, there's a package called
> bcm43xx-fwcutter.  You can
> try that out, but it didn't work for me.  It
installed
> properly, but my
> internet access was extremely slow.
>
> I ended up using ndiswrapper, which worked well.  I
> ran into a bug,
> though, in the way that NetworkManager interacts
with
> the ndiswrapper
> driver.  For whatever reason, NetworkManager loses
all
> its wireless
> network settings every time you log out (but only if
> you're using
> ndiswrapper, apparently).  I'm currently looking for
> good wireless
> switching tool that works with ndiswrapper *and* WPA
> encryption.
>
> By the way, when I installed Linux on my sister's
> laptop a few years
> ago (which also had a Broadcom wireless card), I
found
> it easier to just
> buy a new internal wireless card that would work w/
> Linux.  It was a
> mini-pci interface.  My mother's Pavilion, on the
> other hand, doesn't
> seem to use a mini-pci interface (unless I'm looking
> at the wrong
> thing).  Does anybody know what type of interface
this
> card uses?  The
> mini-pci wireless network cards are only about $20,
> and I'd gladly spend
> that amount to fix the problems w/ my mom's laptop.
>
> -Rob
>
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:17:20AM -0600, Peter
> Hawxhurst wrote:
> > Hi,
> > i have installed both the i386 and amd64 versions
of