[K12OSN] RAID let me down...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Feb 14 07:40:37 UTC 2007

Shawn Powers wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2007, at 5:17 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> It has been a while since I've mentioned backuppc as a good thing here...
>
> I have backuppc, AND several backups (MAN that program was worth the
> hassle to figure out!)
>
> I ended up doing a bare-metal restore on a separate computer, with
> another raid controller (a bit nicer, with fancy lights on the front
> telling when the drives fail), AND I sacrificed some space for a hot
> spare. :)  Still doing RAID 5 because I couldn't afford that much drive
> space (literally, at $700 a drive!!!)
>
> Still restoring as we speak...

If you are literally dumping the whole system backup onto a machine with
a different controller it can be tricky to make it boot.  Don't panic -
you can boot your install CD in rescue mode and fix it but it may
involve building a new initrd image with the right driver.  If the new
controller works with the old driver, all you need is to get grub
installed on the new system.

--
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com