[K12OSN] Re: fl_teachertool can't broadcast on k12 6

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Feb 19 21:05:39 UTC 2007

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On 2/19/07, Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:
>> Something is wrong with vncreflector.  When I try to start it, as
>> directed in step #1
>> below, I see this in /var/log/messages:
>>
>> Feb 19 08:02:34 k12ltsp xinetd[2818]: START: vnc-800x600x16 pid=4200
>> from=127.0.0.1
>> Feb 19 08:02:34 k12ltsp vncreflector: *** buffer overflow detected
>> ***: vncreflector
>> terminated
>> Feb 19 08:02:34 k12ltsp xinetd[2818]: EXIT: vnc-800x600x16 status=0
>> pid=4200 duration=0(sec)
>>
>> Any idea what would cause a buffer overflow?
>
> Never seen that before. Just to confirm, this is happening BEFORE step
> 2. Try downloading the source and compile it yourself. Here is the
> source
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/vnc-reflector/
> grab the tarball, untar it, cd to the dir and type "make". Then cp the
> vncreflector binary to /usr/bin  See if that helps. Can anyone else
> confirm this as I don't have k12ltsp 6.0?

Yes, it was happening (crashing) before step 2.  I downloaded and compiled vncreflector
and once that was in place in /usr/bin/, everything worked fine.  I notice that the size
of the original vncreflector is 101812 bytes, while the one I compiled is 102604 bytes.

I've got a working fl_teachertool now, but I'm not sure if the problem is my machine or
something is wrong with the vncreflector package.  Thanks for your help, Robert.

Petre