[K12OSN] OT: A good network inventory program here

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sat Feb 24 23:06:30 UTC 2007

Nils,

  Thanks for the heads up on OCS Inventory NG having a client for MAC OSX.
I didnt know that had that available now. We have converted all of our
inhertied Emacs to FC5 PPC. We have all of our old inhertied Imacs
netbooting to an K12LTSP server as well. Have you thought about going
this route( if you have Macs)? It makes for much more consistant all
around runability. The only major problem i run into on the Emacs is the
wonky video display being off center with a default install of FC5 _PPC.
With the old video adjuster add on,you can come very close to getting
the video display centered,,with some tweaking. Wish it would work out
of the box,,as this is kind of time consuming,or I wish I would have
imaged the first one,,then G4L the rest with the saved image. Oh well.
Nice thing about OCS Inventory NG it brings all your network hardware info
into one interface. Once you get the hang of deplying packages through OCS
you'll throw away your windows remote install server,,:).OCS will "auto
find" even your printers as well. I have one OCS Inventory server
inventorying three subnets at our school. We use  Ntop along with this and
between the two softwares you get a good overall picture of what hardware
you have residing on  your LAN,

Good Luck

Barry Cisna