[K12OSN] Which client should we buy?

Joe Korzeniewski jkorz at mceschools.com
Mon Feb 26 14:33:14 UTC 2007

The specs mention native XDMCP, which from my understanding is what is
used once the terminal boots via pxe anyway (so this probably gets to
prompt faster than a pxe client). Graphics and sound support are most
likely taken care of as well. I would suggest that you either buy or
borrow one to test it out before buying a bunch however. Please post
back your results.

Joe Korzeniewski
Technology Director
Mason County Eastern Schools
231-757-1120

On Saturday 24 February 2007 13:50, Jim Christiansen wrote:

> I've just found:
> http://devonit.com/terminals/terminals_models_features.php
>
> And have a quote for 12  DIT6040 clients- mouse and keyboard included
for
> $139.00  Pretty good price- PXE boot and fanless.
>
> Anybody using these?

No, but the data sheet on this model makes no mention of PXE boot
capability
and in fact has software in a "disk on module" and has only 64MB RAM.
If it
in fact *does* support PXE boot, I do wish Devon IT would include that

information in it's online documentation. The RAM limitation could be
overcome by using NBD swap. Do you have any assurance that the audio
hardware
and USB HW work under LTSP? It is likely, but I would want proof before

comitting to a large purchase; they may allow you to try one out before

buying.

I have a Devon IT 6020P (PXE boot only 128MB RAM with audio and USB
v1.1
working with LTSP v4.2), but it does have a small fan. On the other
hand it
does have twice the RAM and a CPU running at twice the clock rate
(800Mhz vs.
400Mhz in DIT6040). I *did* have to tweak the LTSP USB initialization
scripts
(eliminated USB v2.0 driver, which was conflicting) in order to get USB

flashram to work, but it does work. List price quantity 1 is $149 but
they
frequently have discounts (recently a buy 3 get 4 deal). If they made
this
terminal (at this price) without a fan and with USB v2.0 support, it
would be
optimal.

I like the specs on the DisklessWorkstations "LTSP 1220 PXE" terminal
(fanless
with USB v2.0, 800Mhz CPU 128MB RAM, guaranteed to work with LTSP v4.2
and
later), but the price is $285 (quantity one), which means nearly a 2:1
price
differential with the 6020P.

I have some time before I order any new terminals, and I hope that the
optimal
terminal (one at the right price) makes it's appearance before I have
decide on the compromises.

                        - Mark Twain

http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)

believed to be clean.