[K12OSN] Virtual Machine Advice

Tim Born k12osn at deltacfax.com
Tue Feb 27 18:00:53 UTC 2007

Mark Goodridge wrote:

> Good Afternoon List,
> Would any of you care to pass on your opinions or experiences with any
> Virtual Machine software? I'm going to be doing some experiments with
> various operating systems and I thought I'd try that route.
>
> Thanks

I keep trying to make Xen work, but it's been problematic for me so
far.  I even went and got one of the new chips with the VT instructions
in it so I could (theoretically) run Xen with an unmodified OS.  So far
I'm still trying ...

VMware Server (now free) has been my mainstay for years.  Documentation
is excellent, reliability is very good, performance is acceptable.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/
http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

best,
-tim