[K12OSN] OT-Multiple Knoppix and hostnames

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Feb 28 14:47:28 UTC 2007

Since the machines have a CD drive, why not create an etherboot CD to boot the machines
as LTSP clients?  Another option would be to buy NICs that have an etherboot chip to use
in those machines.  Disklessworkstations.com has them for $20 a piece.  Then you don't
have to worry about the dust and the CD drive.

Why do the clients need to be on their own network segment?  You can use the K12LTSP
server to provide DHCP-supplied addresses to all computers; the non-thin clients will
just ignore the extra info given out.  Separating the clients onto a separate network is
not mandatory.

Petre