[K12OSN] Re: Problems with Firefox, OO and KDE apps start up speed with SMBLDAP (Julian)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Mon Jan 1 09:06:25 UTC 2007

> Julian Yap wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We're having problems with the start up speed of Firefox, OO and KDE
> > apps on our K12LTSP servers and was wondering if anyone could help.
> >
> > More background info:
> > We freshly installed a K12LTSP 6.0 server and set it up to authenticate
> > off the SMBLDAP.  Home directories are also mounted off the SMBLDAP
> > server via NFS.
> > Certain apps seem to hang and take a long time (around 10 minutes) to
> > start up.  I can't seem to figure it out.  However, once Firefox, for
> > example, starts up, it's very responsive and works fine.  The apps with
> > problems are Firefox, OpenOffice suite and KDE apps (like Kalcium).

What happens if you take NFS out of the equation? Try creating a local
user on the K12LTSP server and give her a non-NFS home directory. How
do the slow apps respond then? Then create a Samba/LDAP user but give
her a local home directory (e.g., "/tmp/username") and see how the
apps respond.

I'm guessing that you've got NFS locking issues. Every time I've seen
behavior like this that seemed to be the culprit, but an update
has always fixed the problem before I got time to track it down
further and figure out *why* locking was a problem.

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/