[K12OSN] needed: recommendations for Linux flavor with ongoing support

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Tue Jan 2 22:20:56 UTC 2007

john wrote:

> I am in the process of moving a web-server off of Fedora 4 and onto
> a flavor
> that will be supported for a while. I am looking for advice.  I am
> thinking
> about Ubuntu LTS 6.06 because of the commitment by Ubuntu/Canonical to
> support it for 5 years. I am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that
> updated .deb
> packages will be available to the community for the same period
> even if we
> don't purchase support from Canonical. Does anyone else have any
> advice to
> render?

Check out CentOS 4 (www.centos.org). It's a free RHEL rebuild (and
RHEL is based on Fedora), that will be supported until 2012. Late
february RHEL 5 will be released which will be supported until
something like 2014, and I guess CentOS 5 will be released shortly
after.

If you're used to using yum and the 'Red Hat way' of Linux I think
CentOS is a better choice than Ubuntu or another Debian-based distro.
But of course you can always try both and see what you like best.

Nils Breunese.