[K12OSN] Fedora Legacy support no longer

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jan 3 15:37:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 23:12 -0800, Eric Harrison wrote:

> The good news I have heard in the discussions about the demise of the
> fedora legacy project is 1) potentially extending the life of the Fedora
> core support, and 2) building "extras" repositories for the up-coming
> RHEL5/CentOS5. If both of these are done, it will largely fill in the
> gap that fedora legacy intended to bridge.

Is there likely to be a k12ltsp with a Centos5 base?

I have always thought that what people needed was a distro that
split the base OS and core libraries away from the applications
so once you had a working kernel and device drivers you wouldn't
have to change (and likely break) them just to get a version-level
update to openoffice or firefox.  When you replace your hardware
you would want to install a new kernel with current device drivers
for it.  So far none of them take that approach, though.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com