[K12OSN] Issues with two terminals - xserver fails / Matrox Millenium II

Peter Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Jan 5 17:16:47 UTC 2007

Michael Elliott wrote:
> Sorry for the delay, I was in another county yesterday doing my other
> duties.
> These machines are just generics.  We got them as hand-me-downs from the
> FDA.
>
> Alright - I was able to put an old S3 video card into the machine.  I
> commented out the VESA and 4096 statements and fired up the machine
> using the 640x480 and 800x600 settings (separate boot-ups).  I did
> actually get to the GUI screen this time.  Both resolutions resulted in
> the login screen appearing, but when I try to log in it goes black then
> comes back to the login screen - doesn't reboot, just back to the
> login.  I tried to put back in the VESA and the 4096 statements, but the
> Xserver crashes again.

Create a brand new login ID and try logging in with that.  I've seen
cases (one just the other day as a matter of fact) where ~/.gconf gets
hosed up and when I try to login, it just keeps sending me back to the
login screen.  This usually happens when I'm messing around with screen
resolutions and such.  With a brand new ID, you won't have any
conflicting settings already in existence.

Petre