[K12OSN] [Fwd: Fedora 7]

Peter Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Jan 5 17:10:27 UTC 2007

Dan Young wrote:
> Luis Montes wrote:
>> I've been a fedora/redhat user since redhat 5.1, but this move makes
>> kubuntu look a little more attractive.  Sure, someone will spin a fedora
>> KDE ISO, but ubuntu already has a KDE community with kubuntu.
>
> Ubuntu started as a GNOME distro. Later, there was a subproject to make
> Kubuntu (Ubuntu plus KDE). Fedora is primarily a GNOME distro and
> they're planning a subproject to distribute a disc with KDE.
>
> I fail to see the difference.
>
> In fact, I think a "Fedora KDE" could be much improved over the existing
> situation. Those who are passionate about KDE can form a community
> around the Fedora KDE efforts and put their expertise to work. It's
> evident from fedora-devel that there are many such passionate users.
> This is a good thing.

As long as one can install KDE with a simple 'yum install kde' command,
I can live with FC only shipping with Gnome.  I do like that it has both
desktops, but I realize that adds some constraints that others may not
want to deal with.  As long as it's easy to add kde, I think that's
okay.  I'm partial to Kubuntu over Ubuntu, but I've read that adding KDE
to Ubuntu can be done with just 'apt-get install kde'.

Petre