[K12OSN] [Fwd: Fedora 7]

Vince Callaway vince at totalsense.com
Sat Jan 6 06:13:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 00:27 -0500, "Terrell Prudé Jr." wrote:
> A little more than a year ago, I had a K12LTSP server in a school.  It
> lasted two trouble-free years until it got discovered by the Windows
> Nazis and ripped out.

I know what you mean.  I have an application that runs under linux.  It
has been an uphill battle convincing customers that they can live
without windows.  Once it's installed they wonder why they put with
windows for so long.

My clients all use Gnome.  I would guess it is because that is what I
setup for them.  They just like that it works.

I'm always checking my software against various distros.  Fedora so far
works the best overall.  I have a box setup with K12LTSP to test with
now.  It is looking as if it will be my new platform of choice.  The fat
server/thin client setup is ideal for a small office.

Just like I explain to my customers you need the right tool for the job.
Fedora works great for my clients because I don't have any configuration
issues.  I use Centos for dedicated server apps like mail.  My laptop is
running Ubuntu.

I know that it would make more sense to just use one distro.  I however
need to be able to offer support on any of them.  All of them still
require more than a plug and play install.  I'm happy Fedora is merging
the repositories.

Ubuntu requires setting up additional repositories and tools to make it
fully usable.  It is not quite a polished as Fedora but giving out
bootable/runable CD's is a plus.  My son hands them out at school like
crazy.  Most of the teenagers find it easier when they can just boot a
CD and play without doing an install.

As a personal note.  I would not mind seeing more kids getting their
hands on Ubuntu disks. (hint, hint).