[K12OSN] program w/ short source code to show to a linux newbie?

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 7 08:59:06 UTC 2007

--- Rob Owens <hick518 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I relative of mine is an out-of-work COBOL programmer.
>  I briefly introduced him to Linux and Free Software,
> and he's interested in learning more.

SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net) has plenty of applications.
 Most of which are licenced under the GPL license.  I'd
recommend looking around there.

> I am looking an application that I can show him, along
> w/ the source code.  I'd like to give him an
> application that is useful, but contains a minimal
> amount of code so that it's not too overwhelming.
> He's not going to do anything w/ the code, he just
> wants to check it out.
>
> It also would be great if the application runs on
> Windows, since that's what he's currently using at
> home.
>
> Any suggestions?

Try Gourmet Recipe Manager which is pretty simple and a program
my mother in law uses a lot:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/grecipe-manager/

It's written in the cross-platform language Python and the GUI
is implemented in teh cross-platform GTK libraries.

~ Julian