[K12OSN] interesting printing thing

Mel Wade mel at melwade.com
Tue Jan 9 01:23:10 UTC 2007

This might solve a problem I've been having with 6.0.  I'm getting printers
on the student network in the dorm showing up on my LSTP server.  I don't
want them there though since users don't have the rights to print to them
and they just add confusion.  I'll try unchecking those boxes and then
trying to delete them.

Mel

On 1/8/07, Rob Owens <hick518 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> There are different settings in cups to:
> 1)  automatically pick up available on the network
> 2)  broadcast your local printers to the network
>
> I can't remember the exact configuration lines, but if
> you use the cups web-based configuration tool, go to
> localhost:631/admin and put a check next to one or
> both of the following (depending on if there are
> printers attached to your machine:
> Show printers shared by other systems
> Share published printers connected to this system
>
> -Rob
>
> --- Huck <dhuckaby at hvja.org> wrote:
>
> > I had not installed any printers whatsoever on this
> > new K12LTSP install
> > at HVJA...and amazingly when I went to configure a
> > printer...all
> > networked printers were already installed and
> > usable! How cool is that? =)
> >
> > Not sure what changes were made to CUPS for that to
> > happen but Huck is
> > happy with the change!
> >
> > --Huck

Mel Wade
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF
Skinner
http://www.melwade.com