[K12OSN] general acceptance of k12ltsp in schools

Vince Callaway vince at totalsense.com
Tue Jan 9 02:04:32 UTC 2007

I'm not a teach, but have two high school students.  They have been
pushing hard for Linux and OpenOffice.  The district thinks every family
can go out and plunk down the cash for MS Office to do homework with.
Most who do have it are using a borrowed copy from their parents work.

My oldest son has taken a pretty firm stance.  He has linux on a thumb
drive and boots it to do his work on at school.  While it annoys the
tech people the teachers find it amusing.

So far the only issue was when someone from the district tech support
was in the classroom and decided he was just a dumb kid.  My son
retaliated by calling him an idiot and rebooted every computer in the
district.

I had to chat with the principal and we both agreed the guy was an
idiot.  My son also apologized to the principal and has managed to
control himself.  I also made a point that he would not have been able
to do that if they were using Linux.

The biggest issue seems to be with the support staff.  They see the loss
of windows as a loss of job security.  In the evolve or die equation
they seem to choose the latter.