[K12OSN] Re: Using gigabit NIC and switch with 100Mbps clients doesn't work

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Jan 9 14:23:01 UTC 2007

> Does this information help? Any suggestions?
> Thanks, Scott

What kind of switch are you using with the gig setup?  I have had weird
problems when connecting 100MB NIC to 1GB switch ports (hoping for the switch
to slowdown) and also problems connecting 1GB NIC to 100MB switch ports
(hoping for the NIC to slow down).  In both cases things should work, I also
get link lights and activity.  If you are using an all gig switch maybe try
something with a gig uplink for the server and standard 100MB ports for the
clients.  Also maybe try using dumb switch if your current one is a managed
switch.  I have found the Dell 23xx line to work great (maybe try a 2324) and
they are fairly cheap. If your using the same NICs with both setups and the
same clients, I would have to say your problem is with the switch or negotiation.