[K12OSN] Re: PDC/BDC problem (Randall Swift)

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Jan 9 16:13:30 UTC 2007

Randy,

Run on the PDC

slapcat -l /root/pdc.ldif

copy the file over to the other machine (the BDC) either using scp or some
other method

if using scp....do this on the PDC

cd /root

scp pdc.ldif root at 10.0.0.1:/root          (use the IP address of the BDC
in place of 10.0.0.1...then enter your password...should work assumung ssh
is installed and running)

then on the BDC

cd /root

slapadd -l /root/pdc.ldif     or simply   sladadd -l pdc.ldif

(the -l switch "that's an L" tells slapcat to direct its output to a
file....in this case we've named it pdc.ldif....you can name it anything
you want.....in slapadd it simply tells slapadd where the file is to read
from)  In any case you are simply adding the database manually.  There is
no need to bring your PDC down or anything....it's a quick process....and
the LDIF file is simply a text file of the database.