[K12OSN] replacing one raid hard drive

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jan 10 13:34:35 UTC 2007

cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us wrote:

> This is hardware/mobo based raid. I think it is via board not sure what
> Raid controller is onboard. Its been so long since i have even looked at
> this server's bios. Its about 2 years old. Do i simply "plug & play" the
> new sata hd into the server ,boot up,,and will the raid find its new hd to
> mirror to,,or what need s to be done manually?

Usually you hit a key during boot-up to get into the raid setup and
there is some kind of step where you 'initialize' a disk and then
add it to the array to create a volume.   It should know which disk
has not been initialized when you boot after adding the new drive.
They usually don't rebuild automatically unless you set up a hot
spare ahead of time, so you have to tell it to add the new disk to
the existing array or volume.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com