[K12OSN] NFS help

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Jan 10 15:58:44 UTC 2007

Well, today was as close to a "meltdown" as I care to get...

it turns out that rpc.lockd is failing, because rpc.statd is dying
for some unknown reason.  I manually started rpc.statd, and my
clients are (mostly) working, except for some OO2 clients that are
having problems with file locking errors, and "hung" applications.

Is there a file limit (ie, number of files) that might cause an NFS
server to struggle?  I think my file server is housing 8 millionish
files, although they're obviously not all served at once.  My hard
drive is partitioned with ext3.

I'm really grasping at straws, and I'm not sure what to try next.
I'll be here this evening working on it, but it generally only shows
it's ugly teeth under the load of 300 computers hitting it.

If nothing else, please wish me luck.

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers