[K12OSN] K12LTSP ftp/yum/rsync server down

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Jan 10 16:23:23 UTC 2007

Nils Breunese wrote:
> Eric Harrison wrote:
>
>> The main K12LTSP ftp/yum/rsync server had its SATA RAID card hang again.
>>
>> It forced a file system check on reboot, IIRC that takes about 2 hours.
>>  Last time it ran into an error and had to be restarted, which took an
>> additional couple of hours.
>>

>> In the meantime, if you need to run yum, you can disable the
>> K12LTSP-specific repositories, such as:
>>

>>    yum --disablerepo=k12ltsp --disablerepo=webmin update
>
> I don't have the bandwidth myself, but isn't it time for some mirrors?
>
> Nils.

Yum has great support for mirrors. No problem there.

The issue with my current configuration is that the mirror list is
fetched from a single server, such as:

 mirrorlist=http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/mirrors/k12ltsp-6.0-$basearch

If you can't get to http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us, you can't get to the
mirrors.

I'll look into setting up a virtual server, say
http://repos.k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us, and putting the mirrorlist there.
I'm already running all the traffic through a Foundry L4 switch, so it
shouldn't be too tough to configure transparent fail-over between two
servers.

-Eric