[K12OSN] terminal audio global setting

Jim Anderson jand689 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 10 19:49:52 UTC 2007

Petre,

I tried the knoppix disk and it confirmed that the
terminals have a CS4236 chip.  I tried just using
snd-cs4236 in lts.conf, without any other parameters
and I've seemed to have made some progress.

When the terminals boot it shows that the sound module
is active but it can find something in /dev/dsp.  I
need to install the rest of the sound files it seems.
I did not install them initially when I set up the
server.

My problem now is I can't connect to the k12ltsp
repos... it seems the repos are down.  Is there a way
to access the install disks so I can select the sound
files?  Do I have to treat this like an upgrade,
booting from the install media?

Thanks for your continuing help.

Jim

PS - I am only at this server on Wednesdays.

--- Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:

> Are you certain that's the correct driver?  The fact
> that it fails suggests that the
> driver can't find the hardware to talk to.  Trying
> booting a knoppix disk, and, assuming
> sound works, find out what sound driver it uses.
>
> Petre
>
> Jim Anderson wrote:
> > I've tried modifying lts.conf to enable the cs4236
> sound module on the
> > terminals.  I keep getting errors loading the
> module when the terminals
> > start up.  I've tried cs4236, snd-cs4236, and
> snd-cs4236.ko, but with no
> > luck.
> >
> > I did a modprobe from a terminal.  This is the
> result:
> > [root at ltsp etc]# modprobe snd-cs4236
> > FATAL: Error inserting snd_cs4236

(/lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2157_FC5smp/kernel/sound/isa/cs423x/snd-cs4236.ko):