[K12OSN] K12LTSP ftp/yum/rsync server down

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Jan 11 00:01:26 UTC 2007

Eric Harrison wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be a good idea to ship a k12ltsp-release package with a
>> mirrorlist in it and use mirrorlist=<somelocalfile> in the repo file?
>> That way people always have their mirrorlists and you can push updated
>> mirrorlists by creating a new version of the k12ltsp-release package. I
>> believe I have seen other repositories do this.
>>

> I've thought about this as well. I believe that CentOS is using DNS to
> deal with this, which is pretty slick, but requires the mirrors to be
> consistent in their file system layout.

Only CentOS 3.x uses the DNS based multi-site hosting.  It has a big
advantage on
the client side in that you can use a local caching proxy and all the
machines behind
it will used cached copies of the updates if they have already been
downloaded.
Fedora and CentOS 4.x use a mirrorlist approach.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com