[K12OSN] what do these iptraf results tell me

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Thu Jan 11 09:24:11 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

I'm running K12LTSP 5 on an MSI motherboard, Dual Core CPU, PATA drives,
one for /home one for everything else.  I have eth0 plugged into an
unmanaged, consumer grade gigE switch.  I have several different thin
clients plugged into the switch.

I asked the list previously for suggestions about how to check what
actual network performance I'm getting.  Someone suggested I run TuxType
fullscreen while running IPTraf.

When I run IPTraf on eth0 I see around 50Mb/s of traffic with one client
running TuxType.  I've gotten two clients gotten 2 clients going playing
battle for Wesnoth and gotten the traffic on the server up to about
70Mb/s.  So I know the NIC on my server can serve more than 50Mb/s, but
I thought that TuxType fullscreen took around 70.  At 50 Mb/s, the
performance in TuxType is pretty terrible.  The screen redraws are
jerky, the letters don't come down very fast or smoothly.  There's a ton
of latency when selecting even from the menu to start the game.  What
does this tell me about where my bottleneck might be?  CPU and RAM are
way below 50%. (I can't remember the exact numbers) No swapping.  It
seems like all that's left is disk, but I can't imagine that Tux or
Wesnoth is that disk intensive in the midst of a game.  Or the wiring to
the clients.

Any thoughts about how to track this down?  My clients are kindof
whimpy, do I need more than 4 megs of video ram?  Does the type of video
card make a difference?  What's best?  Better nics in the clients?  I'm
kindof confused.  I thought you could get good performance from dumpster
hardware using K12LTSP.  By and large I'm very happy with my thin client
setup, but this is one area I'd like to improve.

Just to be clear, my main problem is slow screen redraws during
fullscreen games where the whole screen is moving.  I get the same
effect when I scroll a web page with the browser window maximized.  It
just scrolls slowly and choppily.  Any ideas what's the limiting factor
here?

Thanks,

ck