[K12OSN] chown syntax for AD authentication

Ryan Hackl ryan.hackl at lskysd.ca
Thu Jan 11 19:26:37 UTC 2007

Hi all!

My /home folders on k12ltsp authenticate back to a W2K3 AD.  Therefore, for all my users that were set up, the ownerships of the folders (when I do a "ls -l userid") say  something like the following

DOMAIN\userid      DOMAIN\Domain Users      10     Jan 11 2007      <folder name>

I'd like to chown the folder for a different userid, such as by using

# chown DOMAIN\userid2:DOMAIN\Domain Users <folder name>

but when I do I get

chown: 'DOMAINuserid2:DOMAINDomain': invalid user

The problem as I see it is that the "\" and the "blank space" are not recognized.  What's the best syntax to fix this and correctly set up the 'chown' statement?

Thanks again for any help!

- Ryan Hackl