[K12OSN] Swapping eth1 & eth0

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Jan 16 02:03:00 UTC 2007

David Whitmer wrote:
> On 1/15/07, Brian Chivers <brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I'm in the process of setting up a test k12ltsp box but I'm having an
>> issue with the netcards. The
>> server has a 10/100 card that it's seeing as eth0 and a onboard
>> gigabit card that it's seeing as eth1.
>>
>> I've set eth0 as 10.0.0.254/8 for the thin clients & eth1
>> 192.168.0.40/16 for internet & admin
>> access but I'd really like the gigabit card for the thin clients.
>>
>> How do I swap them around ??
>>
>> Thanks
>> Brian Chivers
>> Portsmouth College

>>    The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily
>>                the views of Portsmouth College
>
> Brian,
>
> I had a similar situation on one of our servers.  I think I edited the
> following files:
>
>  /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
>  /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1
>
> changing the hardware addresses in each file to match the MAC of the
> physical cards.  (I got the idea from a discussion thread from about a
> year ago.)
>
> As a disclaimer: I said "I think" that's what I did because a) I don't
> have my setup notes for that server with me at the moment, and b)
> won't be able to check the server itself until this evening.  I'll
> send a follow-up if it turns out I actually did something different.

Yup, that's exactly how you do it.  I have to do this all the time,
unfortunately, with K12LTSP installs.  The reason is that I typically
use a 10/100 NIC for the outside interface and the Gig-E one for inside,
and Fedora gets it backwards from what I need the order to be.  Now,
that's something that GNU/Linux distributions ought to let you choose at
install time.

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus