[K12OSN] Student run mail system

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Jan 16 15:10:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:23:53 -0700, Jim Christiansen wrote
> My computer club has asked me if they can setup and run their own
> mail system on their club K12LTSP 6 system.  I've said yes and am
> wondering if anyone here has some links on setting up a Squirell
> Mail system.  It looks quite complicated...
>
> Jim

This is a very easy tutorial that takes about 30 minutes to set up.  Of course
it will take longer if this is the first time you've ever set up a mail
server.  Part 1 gets you through setting up the correct DNS and installing the
server software.  Part 3 (don't ask where part 2 went :-) has a couple
paragraphs at the top that help you install and configure SquirrelMail, you
can skip the lower portion regarding storing preferences and the address book
in an external database.  And part 4 configures Anti-Spam/Antivirus add-ons.
Really part 1 and the first portion of part 3 are all you need to get fully
functioning mail server with SquirrelMail and POP3/SMTP access.  Part 4 just
keeps the enlarge this and infect that stuff out of your mail, configuring
this could be a real good experience however for your students.  I have 2 mail
servers currently running this configuration in 2 separate schools handling
about 600 accounts each and it works beautifully.

http://www.hughesjr.com/content/view/16/