[K12OSN] AJAX and users

Burke Almquist balmquist at mindfirestudios.com
Thu Jan 18 01:14:58 UTC 2007

I have to disagree. He didn't say the users were stupid, he said they
were ignorant. That simply means that they don't know or understand
something, which is true in this case. It doesn't convey superiority,
or at least it shouldn't. Tone is hard to convey in an email, but I
wouldn't necessarily assume that he was blaming the users.  He just
said that they would require some training.  Frankly, that's a good
idea with any new application. It will simply be one more thing to
cover in the training.
The back button is designed to take you back to the previous URL you
visited. It doesn't say undo on it, nor does it function that way.
Many web forms warn you that hitting the back button won't unto
hitting submit, so this is hardly a unique problem to AJAX sites.
Since a webpage shouldn't be able to alter the browser controls (that
would be a huge security hole), we are going to have to train/educate
users on that idea as part of using a new web-based application.