[K12OSN] AJAX and users

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 04:55:40 UTC 2007

On 1/17/07, Burke Almquist <balmquist at mindfirestudios.com> wrote:

> Many web forms warn you that hitting the back button won't unto
> hitting submit, so this is hardly a unique problem to AJAX sites.
> Since a webpage shouldn't be able to alter the browser controls (that
> would be a huge security hole), we are going to have to train/educate
> users on that idea as part of using a new web-based application.

Well, a web page CAN intercept the "going away" events, and decide to
1) save the data, or 2) warn the user, and cancel the event. (Zimbra
does this)

OTOH, there is some way to save state information, since Google Mail does it.

OTGH, Google's programmers are probably smarter than average
(including me), so it may take a lot of effort to do so.

Calvin