[K12OSN] PPC Mac servers

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Jan 18 06:32:43 UTC 2007

Hello Eddie,

First, it's a good idea to include a subject so that your email doesn't
get overlooked by all these nice folks here.  I have fixed that.  :-)

Now, to your question.  I find Edubuntu to be a bit lacking in the LTSP
department, and that's been true since Dapper Drake.  You can get it to
work, but I've found that either you have to take the defaults exactly
(and know a little of what you're doing), or you can not take the
defaults and *really* have to know what you're doing.  I have been using
Yellow Dog Linux successfully as a server OS on various types of PPC
machines, including a Power Mac G3 B&W and a Total Impact briQ.  As a
LTSP server, I've run both Y. D. L. and Kubuntu on my PMac G4, and both
work just fine.  With both Yellow Dog Linux and Kubuntu, I installed
LTSP myself from www.ltsp.org.

In fairness to Edubuntu, though, if you're trying to use Feisty Fawn,
then please remember that Feisty is still pre-release!  If you're set on
Edubuntu, you're much better off trying either Dapper Drake or Edgy
Eft.  Like I said, I find it a bit lacking, but it does actually work.

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
protection!