[K12OSN] Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

Steven Santos steven at simplycircus.com
Fri Jan 19 03:59:08 UTC 2007

Plan for upgrades is perhaps the best advice.  Some simple things done
during construction will make life a lot easier in the future. Home-running
low-voltage conduate from your network patch room to each and every other
room in the building is a good thing.  Depending on the building layout, you
may need more than one patch closet (and a conduate directly from each patch
closet, to each patch closet AND to your server room).  Follow a standard
methodology when you do this.  Make the conduate a size larger than you
think you will need.

Think about how to make use of non-traditional spaces for LTSP.  Where might
you be able to station 4 or 5 workstations as mini labs or so people can
check email?  Where might you need to plug in a rolling cart of
workstations?  Hallways, entry ways, etc.  Think about spaces that would
otherwise go unused in the building.

Make sure you have power at each network drop.  I personaly like to use
combo boxes (wall boxes with closed high voltage spaces, as well as open low
voltage spaces) everywhere I would put a network jack.

Think about using cat7, or at least cat 6.  Also, use solid core wires for
the in-wall runs, especially longer runs.

Obviously, run eathernet where ever you would otherwise run phone cable.

Don't forget about coax.  Drops to each room, homerun to your patch closets.

Also, plan for wi-fi coverage both indoors and out.  Parking lots are often
overlooked, but very useful to waiting parents.

Steven Santos
Director, Simply Circus, Inc.
Email: Steven at SimplyCircus.com
 Mail: PO BOX 620753