[K12OSN] Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

Abraham Rolick ARolick at fillmore.k12.ca.us
Fri Jan 19 16:45:27 UTC 2007

Howdy,

I second the motions for a minimum of solid Cat6 for the in wall runs.

Also, If you're wiring a single building, you should probably try to
have all of the cables terminated in a single closet so that you can
avoid having to install any fiber runs between intermediary closets.
You will save money on hardware (no fiber and/or SFPs/GBICs necessary)
and it will make administration of the network much easier (a single
managed switch versus multiple).

For classrooms, I prefer to have my network drops and power boxes
distributed evenly throughout the room, usually with 4 RJ-45s per box
and 2 5-15 sockets per box.  You can never anticipate how one teacher
may want the room setup and you can never guarantee that the same
teacher will occupy the same classroom forever.  I feel better asking
"where would you like these computers to go?" rather than stating "you
have to buy a new table so that we can hook them all up over there in
that dark corner."

And from my experience with construction companies and E-rate (if
applicable in this case), be very specific with the wiring standards.
Don't say "this many drops per room."  Say, "I want category 6 cable
that meets these specifications, manufactured by one of these companies,
with exactly this number of drops in exactly these locations."
Otherwise, who knows what you might receive. :P

As for the banquet halls and community areas, you may want to consider
using wireless in those locations and also have some floor drops
installed with Ethernet and power.  I would suggest that you at least
have power in the floor if you go the wireless route so that you won't
have to have extension cords running from the wall across the room for
presentations, etc.

Just my .02 :)

Regards,

-Abe