[K12OSN] creating raid1 array after OS is installed

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Fri Jan 19 21:24:07 UTC 2007

Hello All,

   Is it possible?
   This is kind of off topic, but am guessing someone here has given this
a shot , maybe.
I stupidly built a server 2 years ago without enabling the onboard Adapetc
raid,with intentions of trying the built in software raid on Windows 2003
server. I never got around to setting up the software raid in Windows 2003
logical disk manager. duhhh!!..Now I rebooted this server a few days ago
and I am getting smart drive status errors at bios level. This box has two
sata 320g Hd,s. The OS is installed on the one drive. The second drive is
blank. Can i create a raid1 array and make it bootable? Will this hose the
boot sector of the hard drive? ive read through the manual and then called
the mobo company. the first time the gentleman told me this is not
possible. I called the next day inquiring about more questions,and this
gentleman told me it is possible?
I've never tried this scenario.The server still boots fine with the smart
drive errors but the Windows logical disk manager does not "see" the drive
to be able to go through the software raid process:(.
I would prefer to do the Adaptec raid (1).
Anyone have any ideas on this?
Thanks,

Barry Cisna
westcentral school