[K12OSN] Discussion on sound (not meant as a rant)

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 22:52:57 UTC 2007

Thanks!  Thanks!  Looks like my weekend is going to be busy.  I'll try to
answer alot of questions so far.

My thin clients are based on the Via Epia 533 mb (Casetronic) with 128mnb
memory and 15" LCD monitors so that isn't a problem.  We do have some older
recycled PC's, but ... everyone that says they have to have sound have the
Epias.  We have 10 Windows-based desktops (certain staff members that have
to work with the state) and 3 wireless laptop labs.

The school director has been very supportive, but also has 40+
teachers/staff and next year NCS adds grades K-4 (650 students) so we will
be a K-8 charter school (1300+ students).  All students/staff/teachers  have
individual login accounts.  Maintaining this hasn't been a real issue for
the most part (4-6 hours per week mostly, after it is set up) except for the
sound issue.  The school can get donated PC's (PIII 1GHz) with Windows 2000
for essentially no cost through a state PC-recycling program that numerous
companies contribute their older systems, so I have a difficult time with
making the case that upfront, moving to Windows is more costly.  (I have my
MCSE for Windows thanks to my real job, though I am actually an engineer and
do the IT-stuff as needed)  App-wise, we use StarOffice (site license for
what, about $70.00 total?) and mostly opensource everywhere else (exception
is Type to Learn and now UnitedStreaming).  The state provides the student
attendance/class scheduling software (requires IE at present though the next
version is supposedly browser-agnostic).  I have two Windows terminal
servers to handle windows-specific apps. (one for teachers, one for
students).

My only other concern is that my switches may need to be upgraded (I have
netgear equipment, 24 and 48 port switches with Gigabit links to the
servers).  The K12LTSP servers are all dual 2.4Ghz with u320 SCSI, 8Gb
memory.  I still have that issue where I can't use the hardware RAID at
present, but  ... will sort it out eventually.

As mentioned, since sound works for things like tuxtype, I should be close
to having it all in place.  Haven't tried compiling from source in a long
time, so ... we will see. :)

I am a stickler on my licensing.  Many of the OSS-friendly companies have a
hard enough time without stretching the definition of what constitutes a
system and user.  I will contact codeweavers and see what options are
available.  As for next year when we add the other grades, I am talking with
the IT director and the school director to determine how much support I can
reasonably provide.  If they stay with K12LTSP and minimal desktops, it can
be done without much additional effort. Also, the IT director is coming
along in handling routine day-to-day issues.  If the schools goes completely
to Windows, then they will need to add a full time staff person just to
handle the sudden addition of 300+ desktop systems probably.  That is one of
the really strong points about the linux-based thin client approach: once
you have it set up, it will typically just run without many issues.

If I can just get through this deadline, then with the advances occurring
with LTSP, things should be in very good shape for next fall.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded.  I will let you know how it turns
out.  And ... if I can learn enough, all of this would be very good to put
on the wiki.  I know alot is there, but a 'from scratch with this distro'
approach can't hurt. Just have to find time.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins