[K12OSN] The sound issue

Peter Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Sat Jan 20 20:17:48 UTC 2007

Well, yes and no.  I already had Gadi's sound package installed on some
K12LTSP 5 servers.  This (along with Gadi's and Jim McQuillan's help)
was necessary to get sound working on a bunch of Dell laptops. But that
was prior to the upgrade to Flash 9, and the libflashplayer.so that
comes with Flash 9, broke flash sound, at least on my servers.  I
neglected to say which version of K12LTSP I was running in my previous
messages, and Eric's quick fix of running 'esddsp firefox' probably
works for 6 but not 5.  For the record (and archive searchers including
myself), I was able to get sound working again with Flash 9 using
Jean-Michel Dault's Pulse Audio package at
http://pulseaudio.revolutionlinux.com/PulseAudio.  Download the source
file, run make and make install, just as the instructions say, and sound
under Flash 9 works.  I installed the following before running make, but
they're all available via yum:

openssl-devel
esound-devel
pulseaudio
pulseaudio-devel
subversion

The subversion package is needed to download the Pulse Audio source file
from Revolution Linux.  Hopefully, this info will be useful to someone
in the future.

Petre