[K12OSN] LTSP ,iptables and vnc

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Jan 22 18:38:13 UTC 2007

You don't.  Remember, the thin client itself isn't going out to the
Internet.  The thin client is simply a display station, and everything
is running on the server.  So, what you would have to do is block the
*server* from going out to the Internet, specifically, the server's
"outside" IP address.

The approach I would try is putting, for example, an OpenBSD box in
front of that K12LTSP server, and you'd then set up authpf on the
OpenBSD box.  Authpf makes you authenticate before being able to go out
past it.  But that's kinda complex to do.  But unless you're very
comfortable with OpenBSD and its PF rules, I wouldn't go this route.

Another solution, and the one I would actually recommend, is to set up a
second K12LTSP server that you don't allow to go to the Internet (you
can block this server's IP address at your Internet router).  Set up a
bank of thin clients, label them "No Internet Access," and hook up these
thin clients to this second K12LTSP server.

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
protection!