[K12OSN] Browser Sound w/ K12LTSP

Larry Mateo LarryM at fsusd.k12.ca.us
Wed Jan 24 19:02:01 UTC 2007

I'm seeking information about using K12LTSP clients and the Firefox
browser to access educational sites that use sound and video. We
currently do not use sound with our clients. Could people please post
their stories of success or failure? I would also appreciate it if
people could comment on the above while keeping in mind the envrionment
I've described below.

Additionally, besides physically plugging speakers or headphones into
the client, what else needs to be configured?

Thanks much.

The environment:

* Three sites. Each with its own onsite K12LTSP server. Each services
about 30 clients; three to five per classroom. All clients are at least
two switch hops away from their server. All server Ethernet NICs, switch
port, and client ports run at 100/F except for a couple of classrooms
that run at 10/F due to overlong CAT5 runs.

* K12LTSP software: All at version 5.0.0.; all are using Gnome as the
desktop environment.

* Browser: Firefox 1.5.0.7 at two sites; Firefox 2.0.0.1 at one.

* Servers: One site has a clone server with an Intel L440GX+MB
motherboard, dual PIII/500MHz CPUs, and 2 GB RAM. The other two sites
have a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC server with dual Xeon/2GHz CPUs and 2 GB
RAM.

* Clients: New Internet Computers (NIC)
CPU: Cyrix MII-266GP.
RAM: 64 MB.

Larry Mateo
Network Technician II
Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District
larrym at fsusd.k12.ca.us