[K12OSN] Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 20:10:07 UTC 2007

Hello,

I hope you are doing well.  Thank you all for the responses -- I've
learned a LOT about this topic.

I'm going to be meeting with the electrical people in order to discuss
this further.  I've gone through the various emails and some small
questions have arisen

1) Gigabit backbone -- is that just cat6 cabling or does this relate
to topology?  And if topology, what kind is the best for LTSP?

2) What is the difference between solid wires and regular cat 6?  Is
there a name for this specification?

3) Is it always the case that it's better to have a room with 4 drops
for 4 computers, rather than 1 drop and a switch for the 4 computers
to plug into?

4) I really like the idea of floor drops and power outlets where the
network drops are -- thanks!

5) We're going to, due to the distances involved, have a primary
server room where the network cables terminate, and a secondary room
as well.  Is it necessary to connect them via fiber? The distance
between them is probably 100 feet.  I'm asking because the hardware to
convert fiber <-> copper is rather expensive.  Is it not easier to run
several cat6 and somehow bridge them? (technical details fuzzy, but I
think you know what I mean! :) )

6) For wiring wireless -- this may be something we do in the future?
Can I ask them to run cables and power to specific spots in the
ceiling and then just leave it as is?

7) Labeling each of the cables with numbers/room location with
validation - I got it!

8) How much of an issue are florescent lights?  Our building is filled
with them -- should I make a point to mention this?

I look forward to your responses!

Joseph