[K12OSN] Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

Olivier Mugnier olivier.mugnier at laposte.net
Thu Jan 25 00:04:33 UTC 2007

Hello

Scuse for my language... but as i am french, I'm sure you will
understand....

I'm an electrician in France... so I want to give you some technical
information.

(For the time I take to type this... more information... sorry for
rebondancy !)

>> 1) Gigabit backbone -- is that just cat6 cabling or does this relate
>> to topology?  And if topology, what kind is the best for LTSP?

1.The main difference between 5 and 6 is that 6 require continued ground
field protector... You can't leave it even on 1 cm...
So you need specilised socket that take ground far behind.... Cable is the
same except that the wire are a bit larger....
Be very careful on cat6, normalisation was not complete and not fully
respected (2-3 year ago... may have change since)

>> 2) What is the difference between solid wires and regular cat 6?  Is
>> there a name for this specification?

2. I think that the difference are in the wire... usually, we but only 1
wire in copper (*8 for 1 cable) for the wall... While for connection, we but
many wire (smaller but many) (*8 for 1 cable)
The first one are more difficult to install since the can't turn as well as
the second... but the first one are better for connection
(sometime, some wire of the small one get off and the over wich was not
maitain any more go off as well) Secondly, it usually a bit cheaper. Third,
he doesn't like to be moved all the time... Connections doesn't move if the
wall doesn't move... There for the first one is usually much more reliable
than the second.... but
The second is much more easy to turn, and the different wire make it much
more reliable in time if someone walk on it all the time... (as 1 break is
not lost of connection) but it is a bit more expensive....
Therefore: The first one in the wall between socket, the second type between
socket and computer...

>> 3) Is it always the case that it's better to have a room with 4 drops
>> for 4 computers, rather than 1 drop and a switch for the 4 computers
>> to plug into?

3. More wire allow you to easily upgrade to more fastest network...
I mean, usually, once the building is made, adding an extra cable is very
difficult.... and 1 cable
of cat 5 won't go over 1G (for very short distance), therefore.... even by
putting a gigabit switch, there will be 1G for all the client....that are
connect to the hub and client can take as much as 80Mg between them and the
server...
That the same between no brand giga switch that can go up to 2or3G and
nammed that can pass-thru 8G and much more....
Remenber that cost is greater for switch than for cable (25€ / switch <=>
80m of cable in france in cat5) and that power bill will consider that... (I
don't think that it would be cheaper in consommation without talking of
Backing up (ondulated))

>> 4) I really like the idea of floor drops and power outlets where the
>> network drops are -- thanks!

4. We have completely recabled our school last year and I already miss some
power (1 for screen and 1 for computer but printer, scanner, speaker,
external hard drive, screen projector, phone and much more... We (in france)
can't use multiple socket for safety of the children...) So I would say now
3 socket by child computer and 5 for the teacher would be the least...
The same apply for computer socket... We tend to have network printers, Voip
phone, normal phone (use the same wired)
(and even laptop for some of us) so they put 2 socket for each teacher
place... 3 should be better...
Floor drop are not bad idears (but cannot be used in france for security),
but what about 1 or 2 roof socket for projector, wifi access point...

>> 5) We're going to, due to the distances involved, have a primary
>> server room where the network cables terminate, and a secondary room
>> as well.  Is it necessary to connect them via fiber? The distance
>> between them is probably 100 feet.  I'm asking because the hardware to
>> convert fiber <-> copper is rather expensive.  Is it not easier to run
>> several cat6 and somehow bridge them? (technical details fuzzy, but I
>> think you know what I mean! :) )

5. For 100Ft, (30 meter) you can effectively run multiple 1G cat6 connection
and aggregate them (need branded hardware that support fail/over multiple
link)

>> 6) For wiring wireless -- this may be something we do in the future?
>> Can I ask them to run cables and power to specific spots in the
>> ceiling and then just leave it as is?

6. For sure, leave them non connected for 30year than use them is you
want....
Remenber that if you wan't to have a very high speed connection you vill
have to have more than one cable
or (better I think but depend of the technology evolution) 1 cable for each
small area...
Wifi is one... phone point can require as well one cable... (6 DECT on a
wirelless spot wich use 2 wire)

>> 7) Labeling each of the cables with numbers/room location with
>> validation - I got it!
7. I would rather say on socket and on cable and not right at the end but 1m
before (3ft)

>> 8) How much of an issue are florescent lights?  Our building is filled
>> with them -- should I make a point to mention this?

Yes, absolutely.... The cable can cross florescent lights (avoid) but never
follow them
The same apply for all magnetic field: Big electric Motor, electric
tranformateur....
(If  i remenber well, 10 light of this type of ligh can make your cables
uselless... and that is for Cat5, 1G should be more strict)

The same for high voltage... and even 110V can't be good for your
transmission...

More remarque

1. Fiber is fast and should be able to go up to 10G for 2fiber.... 6 give
you 30G... Should be enough...

2. But as much fiber as you can, then as much cable and then if you are
short in money, but empty pipe can allow you extension (if there not turning
3 time at 90° on 10 feet with 3 wire inside already and place for only one
new)
(french specification says that 30% must be free... on power cable and power
cupboard)
But for ethernet cable, I would rather says 70% free
Let them from the cable road to each mising socket (should be possible to
but either fiber (specific renforced) or simple cable)
It is more easy to but a new cable in an empty pipe than to add an extra
cable to a bigger one already fill at 30%... and specially because if it
break, you have loose the one running....

Remenber that cost is mainly time... and is not double time to but two or
three at the place of one....
If they are marked correctly you can leave them until you need them...

3. In our school, we have 1 cable for each soket to an computing cupboard...
Then wire from the socket to a switch with half of the socket for now....
And over wire for phone to over socket going to the phone installation
Therefore... ready to move to Voip
Multiple phone wired between main cupboard and building cupboard (4 building
on 200m / 600ft)

And to finish:
4. 200 student * 80 Mo => 14G
I don't think it worst installing more than 30G.... Technology is too quick
to change...

5. Are you on different floor or are you on 1 big large place... ? This
should help to determine topology:
Taking back 100 Cable to one single room is much difficult than 50 to two
small room on each side,
linked with fiber or copper. The best I think is to have 2 place.... because
you can but one server on each side
equilibrating charge and reducing risk in case of a fire, an innondation or
bombing and so on...
More difficult to administrate some will tell... false with Linux, ssh
deported session of X....
or simply with rsync.... for simple backup...
I hope you won't spend your time behind your server screen anyway...

6. Power security on server room : 2 type of socket and 2 light system
(protected with 2*2 different circuit)
At least a lock on the door there and on the switch.... not with the
classroom key... or the building pass....
A server is secure by network access and physical access !

Good luck