[K12OSN] Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Thu Jan 25 16:44:48 UTC 2007

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> My $0.02 on point 6 - wiring for wireless. Don't bother to run power to
> those spots. Run just verified cat5, full 8 wires and use power over
> ethernet. Thr POE switches are getting cheaper. You get less expemsive
> installation with the added remote power control of the wireless ap.
> julius

PLUS,  with PoE, any devices plugged in and configured for PoE, like
access points and SIP phones will be powered by the UPS back in the
computer room.  I did this in my new office.  We get occasional power
outages lasting just a few seconds to a couple of minutes, and my access
point and phone never skip a beat.

It's WAY cool.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org