[K12OSN] Upgrading

Michael Blinn mblinn at peopleplaces.org
Fri Jan 26 13:42:15 UTC 2007

  Hi - I have a 5.0.0 x86_64 installation that I am currently using for
non-LTSP services such as serving mail, DNS, NAT, databases, etc. The
LTSP stuff is coming together and I expect to start lighting up thin
clients in the next 6 months or so. I'm curious as to the procedure for
a 6.0 upgrade, and whether that's a good idea sooner or later. I know
it's been a few months since the release of FC6, but have trolled
#fedora enough to know there are always more issues for the early adopters.

  So, I have two questions. The first is: Is there a recommended upgrade
method? (Is there still an upgrade option on the installation discs?)
The second is: What are the benefits (other than AIGLX/compiz eyecandy)
and the drawbacks (other than falling a release cycle behind thereby
making eventual upgrade even more difficult)? - I am naturally more
interested in the evolution of x86_64 packages and hope to see these
more prevalent, though I understand the restrainers on flash and win32
codecs.

Thanks,
 Michael