[K12OSN] Discussion on sound (not meant as a rant)

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 16:25:37 UTC 2007

Ok, my continuing saga with sound and mplayer.

I installed via freshrpms a version of mplayer, but it did not have the
codecs required, so I then downloaded the src code from mplayerhq.  I also
downloaded the skins, codecs, and then installed all of the missing
development libraries that showed up when running the configure script.
This allowed me to finally run make and make install to get mplayer mostly
working.  I can playback either windows media or quicktime movies that I
download from United Streaming from the command line , but, I can't launch
the gui interface, even though I included the  option to compile it.  I have
tried to troubleshoot using
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mplayer-fedora.html

The error message is below:

Has someone that has manually compiled seen this issue?  Also, how do I add
mplayer to the menu system (we are using gnome)?  The menu entry is removed
when I uninstall the version that I installed via yum.  If no one has seen
this, then I will follow the suggestions below and generate the debug info.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

[root at ncslts3 skins]# gmplayer
MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 7)
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: unknown
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't
and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible
bug.
*** glibc detected *** gmplayer: double free or corruption (fasttop):
0x09a10b70 ***
/lib/libc.so.6[0x9f1a68]
/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_free+0x78)[0x9f4f6f]
gmplayer(free_font_desc+0x20)[0x80bac81]
gmplayer(free_font_desc+0x2f)[0x80bac90]
=