[K12OSN] Terminal Services Licenses for rdesktop

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 16:38:04 UTC 2007

I just checked MS Terminal server manager and it shows 35 sessions are
active from students on the system used by the students.  But, checking
Terminal server licenses only shows 1 license (a single device cal)  being
required.  Now, we have 50 licenses on the server, and over the last 4
years, only 6 have ever been used, one for each different device that has
connected (4 other servers and 2 desktops via MS's TSclient).  I agree that
MS would probably take exception to the use of a Linux TS to tie in with
their TS because it looks like it only pulls 1 license, but .. that is why I
mentioned the device CAL issue.

I still think that the way the licensing was intended was that each TS
session requires a device cal for each device.  This isn't unreasonable from
MS's perspective where the remote devices are single user systems (their
desktops) and thus each device corresponds to a user session, but ... if
coming from a multi-user system, it appears they did not account for this
scenario.  I would probably still lose in court though :(

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins