[K12OSN] Discussion on sound (not meant as a rant)

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 14:24:00 UTC 2007

On Friday 26 January 2007 12:25, David Hopkins wrote:
> Ok, my continuing saga with sound and mplayer.
>
> I installed via freshrpms a version of mplayer, but it did not have the
> codecs required, so I then downloaded the src code from mplayerhq.  I also
> downloaded the skins, codecs, and then installed all of the missing
> development libraries that showed up when running the configure script.
> This allowed me to finally run make and make install to get mplayer mostly
> working.  I can playback either windows media or quicktime movies that I
> download from United Streaming from the command line , but, I can't launch
> the gui interface, even though I included the  option to compile it.  I
> have tried to troubleshoot using
> http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mplayer-fedora.html

I never got the gui version to run either. In situations where you just want
to avoid the command line, load firefox and File/Open the file in question.
This uses the mplayerplugin and works for me.

On stand-alone workstations (not terminals) "kplayer" (part of KDE) works as
an mplayer gui.

> The error message is below:
>
> Has someone that has manually compiled seen this issue?  Also, how do I add
> mplayer to the menu system (we are using gnome)?  The menu entry is removed
> when I uninstall the version that I installed via yum.  If no one has seen
> this, then I will follow the suggestions below and generate the debug info.
>
> Sincerely,
> Dave Hopkins
>

> [root at ncslts3 skins]# gmplayer
> MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 7)
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
>

> MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: unknown
> - MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
>   Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
>   disassembly. Details in
> DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
> - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
>   It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
>   gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
>   DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't
> and
>   won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible
> bug.
> *** glibc detected *** gmplayer: double free or corruption (fasttop):
> 0x09a10b70 ***
> /lib/libc.so.6[0x9f1a68]
> /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_free+0x78)[0x9f4f6f]
> gmplayer(free_font_desc+0x20)[0x80bac81]
> gmplayer(free_font_desc+0x2f)[0x80bac90]
> =

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |