[K12OSN] WOL in fl_teachertool for clients--works

Peter Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Sun Jan 28 18:47:24 UTC 2007

At my son's school, as part of their energy saving policy, having things
such as computers automatically startup at set time is prohibited.  The
Dell laptops we're using already have a BIOS setting which can be set to
automatically turn on the machine at a designated time, but I've been
told we can't use that.  In light of the policy, I think a simple icon
on the teacher's desktop that calls a script that turns the machines on
would be best, rather than putting it in fl_tt.  However, as mentioned
previously, these Dell Latitudes (model C600) do not respond to WOL
packets, or at least I haven't been able to make them work.  Yes, the
BIOS is setup, yes, I've run the debug switch, etc.; I've even tried
using just a crossover cable between sender and client, to no avail.
OTOH, I've got a iPaq that does wakeup!  Oddly, if I use ltspinfo to
remotely shut the machine down, then it will not respond to a WOL
packet; it only works if the machine was turned off by hand using the
power switch.  I've seen mention of this on the LTSP list, but no
resolution.

As to a script that would run by cron or by icon to wake up a list of
machines, you could do something simple like this:

for x i $(cat room1.txt)
do
ether-wake $x
# sleep for five seconds so clients don't all start at once
sleep 5
done

where room1.txt is a file that contains the list of MAC addresses of the
machine you want to wake up.  Put the above commands into a file, make
it executable, create an icon on the teacher's desktop that calls it,
and then the teacher just clicks on the icon and the machines will all
turn on one by one.

Petre