[K12OSN] WOL in fl_teachertool for clients--works

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 22:26:02 UTC 2007

On 1/28/07, Barry Cisna <brcisna at eazylivin.net> wrote:
> Robert,
>
>   I'm sure you are right. The best setup for waking clients would be ina
> cron job at say 7:45am each day of school. I just thought it would be
> handy to have an " option" in fl_tt to enable teachers to start the thin
> clients as well,say for instance if another teacher came in to use their
> room and shut all the PC's off.
> Question: how would I "group" pc's to be ether-wake(ed)? For
> example,gather all MAC addresses in room1 , all MAC addresses in
> room2,etc. Could I do a cron for
> ' ether-wake -file room1 '
> ' ether-wake -file room2 '
> ,, to turn on ONLY room1 thin clients
> ,, to turn on only room2 thin clients ?

Okay then you must have one k12ltsp server for more than 1 room
(Multiple room setup). In this case you would have to use the
File->Dispay-MAC-Addresses.

1) collected all macs into fl_teachertool.maclist (File->Write-mac-addresses)
2) print this maclist file
3) (login to every machine) and run File->Display-mac-addresses
4) walk around ticking off which macs addresses are in which room
5) copy/paste the maclist into fl_teachertool.conf re-arranging
according to room name
(see example setup in conf file)
6) Use this modified python script below

#!/usr/bin/python
import os,sys

reading=False
macfile=file('/etc/fl_teachertool/fl_teachertool.conf','r')
for x in macfile:
   if (reading==True):
      if ( x[:4]=="room"):
         reading=False
      else:
         os.system("ether-wake "+x)
         os.system("sleep 1s")
   if (x[5:-1]==sys.argv[1]):
      reading=True
macfile.close

However this script will not tolerate spaces in front of a mac or room
description as fl_tt does. So it would have to be formatted as such

room=library
00:10:4B:23:47:BA
00:10:4B:23:41:9D
00:60:08:C6:08:97