[K12OSN] server hardware advice

Fabio Milano milanofabio at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 01:18:54 UTC 2007

For 75 thin clients, I would definitly recommend a 2 cpu dual core
system, and about 8G of RAM (100mb per client), and SCSI HD's. If
budget is a concern I would use SCSI HD's for the OS and SATAII for
the /home directory.

I have had problems with the new Intel S5000VSA boards that run the
new Woodcrest CPU's, so be careful.

In production I used the following configuration with great success
and reliability.

- Thunder K8SD Pro (S2882-D) (older board but proven compatibility and
reliability)
- LSI MegaRAID 8port SATAII Controller
- 2 SCSI 15k 36G (for OS) (RAID 1)
- 3 250G Seagate SATAII ES (for /home) (RAID 1 + Hot Spare)

To utilize 8G of ram, 64bit would be recomended, however you lose
features such as Flash etc.

Fabs