[K12OSN] Job descriptions

Huck dhuckaby at hvja.org
Mon Jan 29 18:32:11 UTC 2007

Broad knowledge of various computer OS's and Office Apps(they'll need to
know how to get stuff(or instruct the teachers to) from the teachers'
home computers onto the school network if it's 100% OSS).
Troubleshooting, networking, scripting(php for scripting? nah..that's
pretty much web scripts only, perl/python/ruby/bash)...have a simple
'please write me a script to copy xyz.jpg file from /home/principal to
all of the users with a /home/<username>/ directory.' during the
interview (I can't do that without reference =)...

content filtering...
(for e-mail at the charter school level I would most definitely use
Google Apps for Education...take the headache out of spam-woes)
have each applicant come with a ktouch.xml typing lesson ;)
Give him two network cables and have them identify which is the crossover.
Again...I've found that about 75% of administration is
troubleshooting...and 25% planning so as to avoid troubleshooting ;)
I've never had the pleasure of creating from the ground up a network and
all components thereof.

Definitely a good mix of Linux experience, as a user, as an
administrator, perhaps web administration experience(if that will be
part of this role).  Then again the principal could just tell the person
to join this list, read all of the archives, and figure it out in the 3
months during the summer before school starts =) I say it's doable that
way to if you get someone bright enough and dedicated enough.

--Huck