[K12OSN] Discussion on sound (not meant as a rant)

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Tue Jan 30 00:03:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 16:02:47 -0500
"David Hopkins" <dahopkins429 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well,  I have now recompiled mplayer with only esd sound support.  If
> launched from the command line, it works (mplayer some_file).  But,
> launched using gmplayer, it no longer hangs on launch. Instead, it
> hangs/crashes when you try to start the video.  Very irritating since
> gmplayer is just a link to mplayer.  So, why does mplayer crash with
> the gui?  Any ideas?

They do have different config files... could that be your problem?
Looking at my system, I see

~/.mplayer/gui.conf
~/.mplayer/conf

I remember a while back when I changed my sound card, that I had to
delete all the gui.* files in ~/.mplayer/  mplayer worked fine, but
gmplayer would crash with some kind of sound error.

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org