[K12OSN] Re: Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 00:47:09 UTC 2007

On 1/29/07, Joseph Bishay <joseph.bishay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope you are doing well.
>
> Thank you all for the comprehensive reply!
>
> Once I started reading your email, I realized that probably the best
> way to proceed was to work with the idea of NIC Bonding or port
> trunking.  I have a surplus of Gigabit cards so I could put 3 in a
> server (reading online I found that more than 3 wasn't going to give
> enough of an improvement due to the PCI bus limitations -- can anyone
> validate this?) and then send all 3 of those to the switch. I could

You want to use PCI-X not PCI

> then bond 3 ports from that switch to the next one (we'll probably
> have 2 x48 gigabit switches for the whole building -- still counting

48 port switches usually have 48  100's  + 2  1000's  ports. I haven't
done this but I would try to buy a 16 port gigabit switch and use that
as your backbone. Trunk 4  gigabit links from your server to the
backbone then from there distribute to your 48 port switches via 2
gigabit links trunked. Make sure they are GOOD managed switches.

> the number of ports/computers required) so as to deal with the
> bandwidth.  The cost of some of those fiber <-> copper converts look
> rather daunting.
>
> I would VERY MUCH prefer to use only 1 server for the entire building
> -- I am still very much a novice at this and the complexities of
> setting up multiple servers or splitting into application & /home with
> LAPD sounds rather daunting.

If you are set on only using one server for potentially 96 users make
sure it's a monster. At least Dual cpu / dual core Opterons with 8G
ram (or 12G) and sas scsi 15k rpm raid 1 for / and again for /home
preferably with each raid 1 pair on a different scsi channel.